Downtown New Bedford, MA
Scope: Schematic Design through Construction Administration.
Duration: 2002 – 2005
This adaptive reuse of an 1914 historic building was one of the three transformations taking place in the city of New Bedford in 2003. Noted as the “keystone” to historic downtown, this adaptive reuse and historic restoration aimed at bringing the building’s past back to life. The most notable change was the exterior of the building’s appearance, which was rehabilitated back to its original 1914 appearance. Included in this was cleaning the exterior terrazzo at the storefront units, re-pointing of the exterior facade, and historically refinishing the monumental second floor windows. The first floor was transformed into 7 retail units including a restaurant space with an exterior patio on Wing’s Court. The second floor was divided into 11 apartments, 2 studio spaces, 7 one bedroom units, and 2 two bedroom units. Three of the units, both studio spaces, and 1 of the one bedroom units, are handicap accessible. The building also included roof patios for the 4 units on Wings Court and a common roof deck with views of New Bedford Harbor.
Stephen L. Kelleher, AIA
Principal In Charge