New Bedford, MA
Scope: Schematic Design through Construction Administration.
Duration: 2001 – 2003
Stephen Kelleher Architects, Inc. provided complete design services through construction administration for this important rehabilitation project in historic downtown New Bedford. The Hudner Building was originally constructed as a commercial market in 1927, and was occupied as a bar room before renovation. The developer purchased the building and engaged SKA to convert the building into market rate condominiums with ground floor commercial space. Two stories were added to the original two story structure to create a total of 11 residential units, and 3 commercial units. Great care was taken to preserve the original character of the building. The project is one of several adaptive reuse projects of historic structures in downtown New Bedford that the firms has designed in recent years. It received two preservation awards, including the Elm Award presented by the New Bedford Historical Society and the Sarah R. Delano Award presented by the Waterfront Historic Area League.
Stephen L. Kelleher, AIA
Principal In Charge